One of the wounded in the Kabul rocket attack

By Agency Reporter

A barrage of rockets was fired by ISIS militant wing into residential areas of the Afghan capital Kabul on Saturday, killing no fewer than eight civilians.

Dozens more were wounded, police officials said.

The explosions, 23 of them, close to the diplomatic enclave, sent warning sirens blaring from embassies.

They come two days before a major donor conference for Afghanistan in Geneva.

Tariq Arian, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said three civilians had been killed in the attack and 11 wounded.

But a health ministry official said five bodies and 21 injured were taken to the hospital from the incident.

READ ALSO  Rockets hit US military base in Iraq

Arian said “terrorists” mounted the rockets in a small truck and set them off, adding that the investigation is going on to find out how the vehicle came inside the city.

Some residents filmed when the rockets were firing and posted them on social media.

Several pictures circulating on Facebook showed damaged cars and a hole in the side of a building.

Taliban insurgents, fighting against a foreign-backed Kabul administration, denied involvement in the attack.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State militant group.

Since peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban stalled, attacks by the Taliban and other extremist groups have been on the rise, especially in the capital that is home to more than five million Afghans.

READ ALSO  9 drug addicts killed in overnight shooting

Early this month, several gunmen stormed Kabul University campus and killed at least 35, most of them students.

They wounded more than 50.