Nikoloz Basilashvili, Georgian tennis star ranked 27th in the world, was charged on Sunday with physically assaulting his ex-wife.
A court in the Georgian capital Tbilisi charged him with perpetrating violence against a family member.
Worse of all, the offence was committed in the presence of a minor”.
After he was charged, he was then released on bail at a cost of $30,000.
Basilashvili faces up to three years behind bars if found guilty, prosecutor Natia Guruli said.
The tennis star’s ex-wife Neka Dorokashvili told the Mtavari TV station on Sunday that he “physically assaulted” her Friday.
She said the assault happened in the presence of their five-year-old son.
Basilashvili denied the charge, his lawyer Irma Chkadua told journalists.
The 28-year-old won his second ATP title at the China Open in 2018 by defeating world number four Juan Martin del Potro in the final, three months after winning the German Open in Hamburg.
He went on to defend the Hamburg title last year.
In May 2019, Basilashvili reached a career high of 16 in the world.