Two more cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in New Zealand, making the total confirmed cases in the country eight.
The two newly confirmed cases are said to be overseas visitors who recently arrived in New Zealand.
One of the two, according to Xinhua, is a man in his 60s visiting from Australia, who was tested in Australia prior to flying to New Zealand on Saturday morning from Brisbane.
The Australian authorities later confirmed him positive. He is said to be in self-isolation in Wellington hotel with his family.
The second visitor, a woman in her 30s travelling from Denmark arrived in Auckland via Doha on Tuesday.
The woman was unwell and hospitalised for one night. She is now recovering well and being discharged. She will recover in self-isolation and will be monitored by medical staff.
New Zealand Ministry of Health is quoted to have said in a statement that the fact that both new confirmed cases relate to overseas visitors from countries previously outside the travel restrictions reinforces the country’s wider border restrictions announced on Saturday.
According to the new border restrictions announced by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Saturday, all travellers will have to self-isolate on their arrival to New Zealand, apart from those coming from the Pacific Islands.
All passenger cruise ships will also be asked not to come to New Zealand until June 30. New Zealanders were also encouraged to avoid all non-essential travel overseas.
There are strict new health measures now at the New Zealand border which people departing to the Pacific countries will go through.