The ASUU-LASU Chairman, Dr. Ibrahim Bakare, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Lagos that academic activities were ongoing in the university as his chapter was yet to join the two-week warning strike.
ASUU had on Monday declared a two-week warning strike over the Federal Government’s refusal to pay lecturers not enrolled in the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS) and the non-implementation of the 2009 agreement, among other issues.
“It is only our congress that will direct us on what to do. Our colleagues should not be intimidated. They should remain available for our students.
“By next week, the congress will have its meeting as there are quite a number of pending issues concerning the welfare of our academic members that need to be addressed.
“At this point of negotiations, we are getting positive responses from the relevant authorities which means there is no point to stop lectures,” he said.
Bakare said that LASU academic staff had resolved to make the institution stable because there were several things that needed to be addressed.
“Rather than looking up to ASUU’s national executive that never took our interest into consideration for a very long time, the congress feels we should be very focused by creating a conducive atmosphere that will promote peace, tranquility, and flow of lectures without hitch.
“For example, our earned academic allowance has been processed to about 90 percent completion, it will not be reasonable to truncate the remaining 10 percent and a minimum wage is at the maximum level,” he said.