The Borno government on Sunday reopened the Maiduguri-Dikwa road, five years after it was closed as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency.
The 86km road was closed to motorists in 2015 at the peak of Boko Haram activities in the Northern part of the state.
Gov. Babagana Zulum, accompanied by the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi and the General Officer Commanding 7 Division Operation Lafiya Dole, Brig.-Gen. Abdul Khalifa reopened the road.
Gov. Zulum, in his remark, commended the Nigerian military for its successes in degrading ‘Boko Haram’ insurgents that had been terrorising people in the state.
He said that the reopening of the road would resuscitate socio-economic activities, especially fishing businesses, crippled in the Lake Chad region.
He explained that motorists traveling on the road would move freely to their destination without military escort following improved security, NAN reported.
Zulum stated that the government was also consulting with the military to ensure that travellers on the Ngala and Kala balge roads move without being escorted.
He warned members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers(URTW), and other unions against extorting commuters on the highway.
“Everybody in Borno is aware of what is going on the highways. It is not something new and our presence here is not to vindicate anybody.
” Nigerian law does not prohibit the transportation of goods within the state. So, therefore, you cannot ask a driver to pay money for transporting sachet water anywhere within the state.
” How can you transport pure water and tomatoes and you are asked to pay N19, 000 fora six-tyre vehicle.
” This government and the people will fight to see an end these activities in Borno, “he said.
He also said that the government would regulate activities of lorries and trucks in the state.