By Kazeem Ugbodaga

No fewer than 1,331 perished in road accident across the nation in the second quarters of 2018, the National Bureau of Statistics, NBS said on Tuesday.

In the data released by the organisation, the second quarters of 2018 road transport data reflected that 2,608 road crashes occurred within the quarter under review.

It said speed violation was reported as the major cause of road crashes in the second quarters and that it accounted for 50.65% of the total road crashes reported, while tyre burst and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 8.59% and 8.40% of the total road crashes recorded.

The report added that a total of 8,437 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded, saying that 7,946 of the 8,437 Nigerians who got injured, representing 94% of the figure, were adults while the remaining 491 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure were children.

According to the NBS, 6,415 male Nigerians, representing 76%, got injured in road crashes in second quarters while 2,022 female Nigerians, representing 24% got injured.

“Similarly, a total of 1,331 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q2 2018. 1,257 of the 1,331 Nigerians that got killed, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 74 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 1,047 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in Q2 while 284 female Nigerians, representing 21% got killed.