A room on the ninth floor of Nigeria’s first elite private hospital, St. Nicholas Hospital, Lagos Island, was gutted by fire on Sunday night.

Lagos firemen came to the rescue on time, putting out the fire about an hour after it started.

Electrical spark was suspected as the cause and the damage did not spread beyond the floor.

smoke coming out of the Ninth floor

smoke coming out of the Ninth floor

The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Razaq Fadipe, said no life was lost in the incident.

He said, “We got a distress call around 6.07pm that there was a fire outbreak at the St. Nicholas Hospital and on getting there, we observed that smoke was billowing from the legal office on the 9th floor. The smoke was so thick that we had to use breathing apparatus to access the place.

“Fortunately, the hospital had firefighting equipment and water pump outlet so we deployed two trucks from Sari Iganmu and Onikan with 10,000 litres of water. We were able to put out the fire by 7.15pm.”

PUNCH