The State Security Service, SSS, said this morning that it has not cleared Chief  Raymond Dokpesi, the Director General of General of the Ibrahim Babangida campaign  organisation, of complicity in the October 1 bomb blasts contrary to reports in some  newspapers today.

Chief Raymond Dokpesi.

Marilyn Ogar, Assistant Director, Public Relations, SSS, who was quoted in media  reports as giving a clean bill of health to Dokpesi told PM NEWS on telephone this  morning that contrary to reports, Dokpesi is still under investigation.

“ I never cleared Dokpesi or any person. Investigation is not through. He (Dokpesi)  is still liable” said Ogar who added that many Nigerians have been invited over the  bomb blasts without provoking the kind of furore being generated by the invitation  of Dokpesi.

“ Why is it that it is only Dokpesi’s investigation that is being politicized?”  queried the SSS spokesperson.

While responding to questions from journalists yesterday on if Dokpesi was among  the five suspects the SSS intends to charge to court on the bomb blasts, Ogar said  she was not aware if Dokpesi has been coming to the headquarters of the secret  service in connection with investigations into the blasts.

“When we briefed you the other time, you asked us to name the suspects and those  connected to them. The only person mentioned then was Henry Okah because it was  established that he was behind the bombings. If the MD of Daar Communications said  he was invited, it was not to my knowledge that he was invited in connection with  the bomb blasts. The Service will only let you know the issues that will not  undermine national security.. And for that reason, you will excuse me, I will not  answer that question”.

Some journalists interpreted Ogar’s response as clearing Dokpesi of involvement in  the bomb blasts.

The SSS spokesperson lamented that her statement was deliberately misinterpreted  when interviewed by P.M.NEWS this morning.

Ogar said her response to questions from journalists on whether Dokpesi is among the  suspects to be charged to court over the bomb blasts was in tune with the tradition  of the SSS not  to reveal the name of suspects it was investigating.

According to her,  SSS will only reveal to the public, information that will not  jeopardise national security.

Dokpesi who is also the Chairman of Daar Communications, owners of Africa   Independent Television and Raypower Radio Station has been under investigation over  the bomb blasts.

The SSS had quizzed the media owner for many hours and briefly detained him over the  bomb blasts on  4 October.

Dokpesi was alleged to have become one of those under investigation after two text  messages asking “if Dokpesi has paid the balance” and another text inviting another  suspect for a meeting at IBB Campaign office.

The media mogul has been reporting at the Abuja office of the SSS since then.  Dokpesi himself recently told journalists that SSS has been quizzing him over the  bomb blasts and recently instituted a court action against the Service.

—Oluokun Ayorinde/ Abuja