PM News Nigeria


Police Blame Gang For Attack On Soldiers  print

Published on January 22, 2013 by   ·   No Comments

The Commissioner of Police in the central Nigerian state of  Kogi , Mr. Mohammed Katsina, says a three-man gang was behind last Saturday’s attack on the convoy of Mali-bound soldiers at Abobo village, Okene-Lokoja road.

The commissioner who made this known during a briefing in Lokoja on Monday, said that the high capacity Improvised Explosive Device (IED) used by the suspects was manufactured less than 24-hours before the attack.

Katsina said that the soldiers were actually travelling on chartered civilian luxury buses to their destination when they were attacked by the hoodlums.

He, however, said that no arrest had been made so far by the police.

According to him, the Army and men of the State Security Service (SSS) will meet in a few days time to analyse and collate their findings on the incident.

Katsina said that the police was making progress in its efforts to track down the suspects, adding that the state remained one of the most peaceful states in the nation, in spite of the incident.

It would be recalled that two soldiers were killed in the attack while five others were seriously injured on Saturday.

The soldiers were travelling in a convoy of two luxury buses when they were attacked at about 6.30 a.m..

Expended shells of AK 47 rifles and one active IED were recovered from the scene, Katsina said.

print
Posted by on January 22, 2013, 2:21 pm. Filed under Metro, National, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes