Folarin Ademosu/ Akure
Governor Olusegun Mimiko has overwhelmingly won 12 out of the 15 local councils in the results declared Sunday morning by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
There are three councils in the riverside areas of Ilaje left to be declared in the governorship election yesterday, according to the Returning Officer for the election and Vice Chancellor, Federal University of Technology, Akure, FUTA, Professor Adebiyi Daramola.
Of the released results, Mimiko garnered 228,974 votes, 8,000 votes less than the combined votes of the two major rival candidates.
The Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN standard bearer Rotimi Akeredolu, who won in two local councils trailed a distant second with 119,992 votes, while the Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Olusola Oke has recorded 116, 383 votes with victory in one local council. Together, the ACN and PDP candidates polled 236,375 votes.
According to Section 179 subsection  b] of the 1999 Constitution, as amended: “A candidate for an election to the office of Governor of a State shall be deemed to have been duly elected if he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the local government areas in the State. Mimiko has so far met the constitutional requirement to be returned as governor.
Yesterday, many residents of Akure, the state’s capital were roused into great jubilation as results from various units were announced. Little wonder, the LP’s chance shone brightest in Akure South LGA where Governor Mimiko fished a whopping 49,915- the highest votes from a LGA.
The massive votes from Akure,in Ondo Central Senatorial district seemed compensatory for Mimiko whose administration is credited with its turn-around.
Beautification,Road and markets construction and a Car mart are some of the projects that warmed Mimiko to Akure indigenes.
The Results so far Declared:
1. Akoko South Local Government Area ACN 3,330; LP 6,316; PDP 3,425
2. Akoko South West LGA ACN 13,623; LP 11,833 PDP 12,331
3. Ifedore LGA ACN 5,522; LP 11,262; PDP 3,978
4. Akure North West LGA ACN 5,671; LP 10,857; PDP 4196
5. Akoko North East LGAACN 8,693; LP 12,153; PDP 6,847
6. Ondo East LGA ACN 2,759; LP 8,404; PDP 3,933
7. Ose LGS ACN6,376; LP 11,07;1 PDP 5,833
8. Akure South ACN 11,955′;LP 49,915; PDP 12,467
9. Idanre LGA ACN 5,111; LP 15,990; PDP 5,923
10. Akoko North West ACN 9,138; LP 11,675; PDP 7,847
11. Ile-Oluji\Oke-Igbo ACN 9,061;LP 11,945; PDP 6,521
12. OWO LGA ACN 17,967; LP 14,870; PDP 6,058
13 Irele LGA. ACN 5,066;LP 9,435; PDP 9,341
14. Okitipupa LGA. ACN 8,495; LP 11,968 PDP21,024
15. Ondo West LGA ACN 7,225; LP 31,280; PDP 6,669
ACN Votes: 119,992
Labour Party: 228,974
.Preliminary results from Ilaje, where results are being awaited show a PDP surge, with Labour Party trailing and the ACN at the rear:
Ugbo 1- no voting. Ugbo 2- ACN 608, LP 878, PDP 2408. Ugbo IV- ACN 503 LP 779 PDP 1483. Ugbo v- ACN 415 LP 753 PDP 1623. Ugbo VI- ACN 187 LP 450 PDP 1623. Aheri- ACN 1,073 LP 1270 PDP 3236. Etikan- ACN 280 LP 466 PDP 834. Mahin III- ACN 482 LP 1079 PDP 2705.